SSD Strategic Plan 2023-2028
January 2023: CEE Surveys Launch for Staff, Students, and Families
February 2023: First Strategic Planning Committee Meeting
How Communication Happens
Areas of Interest
February 2023: CEE Surveys Close
- 920 Families
- 2591 Students
- 379 Staff
March 2023: Second Strategic Planning Meeting
- Looking at Data
- Identifying Themes
- Goals for Grade Levels
April 2023: Third Strategic Planning Meeting
- Goal Setting
- Statement Finalization
- Design Draft
May 2023: Fourth Strategic Plan Meeting
- Finalize Plan
August 2023: Launch!
We are excited to launch our brand new five-year Strategic Plan. This plan is months in the making, with stakeholders from all parts of the Sunnyside School District family involved.
Built around five key priorities and 20 initiatives, the plan is the roadmap that will take each of our schools and the District as a whole to the next level.
Initiative: Strong Start
Together we will prepare each Sunnyside Scholar with the foundational skills, habits, and behaviors to actively learn every day.
- Prepared for Kindergarten
- Research shows that students who enter kindergarten ready for learning are more likely to experience long-term academic success and personal well-being. We will provide families with clarity of kinder readiness goals, and support with organized resources through community outreach.
- Early Literacy and Language Development
- Early literacy and language development skills provide students with a strong foundation for academic success. Together we will provide aligned rigorous curriculum and instruction in grades TK-3rd grade that focuses on the science of reading.
- Road Trip to Algebra
- Proficiency in algebraic thinking by 10th grade is crucial for college and career readiness. We will emphasize the algebraic standards, foster problem-solving skills, and develop analytical thinking from transitional kindergarten through 10th grade.
- Targeted Skills and Experiences at Every Grade
- When standards are aligned across grade levels it creates a seamless progression of skills and knowledge. We will identify essential academic skills and SEL competencies by grade level to develop pacing guides to ensure consistency and clarity of what students are expected to learn.
Initiative: Strong Classrooms
Together we will collaboratively design inclusive learning environments to foster high levels of growth and achievement for all Sunnyside Scholars.
- Engaging Learning Experiences
Engaging learning experiences ignite students’ motivation and love for learning. We will provide a rigorous academic program that will develop solid writing skills, inquiry based thinking, collaboration, organizational skills, and proficient reading strategies across all grades and content through AVID.
- Strong Professional Learning Communities to Implement Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Framework
- Strong Professional Learning Communities foster collaboration, continuous professional growth, data-informed decision-making, and are student-centered. We will identify essential standards at all grades and contents, implement common assessments, and analyze data to provide timely tiered systems of support interventions and enrichments for students.
- Tiered Systems of Support: Academics
- Tiered systems provide personalized instruction, early intervention, and prevention, while adopting a data-driven, collaborative culture. We will clearly identify and provide Tier I instruction with an emphasis on inclusionary practices for special populations to provide an equitable education for all.
- Emerging Practices and Technologies
Students develop digital citizenship and sound technological skills which foster learning and innovation, and prepare them to adapt to an ever-evolving society.
We will provide professional development for staff and lessons for students on emerging practices to develop digital literacy to equip students with essential competencies for success in the modern world.
Initiative: Strong Sense of Belonging
Together we will include, accept, support, and protect each member of the Sunnyside School District family.
- Tiered Systems of Support: Wellness
- By implementing tiered systems of support for wellness, students will have the necessary resources, interventions, and strategies to thrive emotionally, socially, and mentally. We will support all students through Tier I wellness instruction, and prevention protocols, and will identify response systems for our most vulnerable students.
- Connect, Build, and Envision Programming and Messaging
- Creating strong connections among students, staff, and the school community fosters positive relationships, a sense of belonging and supports students to reach their full potential. We will intentionally align and monitor our practices to ensure all students have an adult they trust, are connected to healthy activities, and have opportunities to envision their future.
- Community-Wide Awareness Campaign
- Supporting the diverse needs and identities of all students will create an inclusive environment where every individual feels valued, respected, and empowered. We will provide ongoing awareness and professional development on equitable and inclusive practices that emphasize the destigmatization of mental health and the removal of barriers to promote inclusivity.
- Deeper Integration of Social Emotional Learning and Cultural Competencies
- Academic success alone is not enough for our students to thrive; by supporting the education of administrators and teachers to integrate Tier 1 Social Emotional Instruction and develop cultural competency, we are ensuring our students will become career, college, and life ready.
Initiative: Strong Future
Together we will nurture and inspire each Sunnyside Scholar to activate their highest potential and achieve their dreams.
- Aligned High School and Beyond Planning
- Centering post-secondary planning on a student’s interest, goals and strengths is essential to increasing their chances of a successful transition into post-secondary adulthood. We will align programs that connect students elementary, middle and high school experiences with their post-secondary plans and aspirations.
- Rigorous and Advanced Pathways
- Challenging coursework allows students to expand their knowledge, deepen their understanding, and develop critical thinking skills. We will challenge our students to solve complex problems and explore new ideas, fostering intellectual growth and preparing them for higher education and the workforce.
- Expanded Career Exploration
- By connecting current coursework, activities, and skill building with their future, students are able to make informed decisions about their future paths and pursue meaningful careers. We will increase our partnerships with local businesses and post-secondary institutions to expand opportunities to learn first hand about different careers and industries.
- Post-Secondary Student Support
- Navigating the transition out of high school and into higher education, advanced technical training, or directly into the workforce is challenging and complex. We will provide support and resources for all Sunnyside graduates to enroll in college, search for career opportunities, and apply for roles.
Initiative: Strong Partnerships
Together we will engage and empower our Sunnyside Family and Community to shape the direction of our district with us.
- Families as Partners
- Fostering strong partnerships between families and educators encourages collaboration on strategies that promote a student's academic success and well-being. We recognize the value of hearing from families as partners, and together we will provide transparency on student progress and support, and develop resources and events that increase family engagement and contribution to student growth and achievement.
- Open Doors to the Community
- We invite our community and families to come into our schools to experience our vibrant learning environments first hand. We will increase opportunities to engage with our school district as a volunteer, visit buildings to explore learning at different levels, and provide information about our safety protocols.
- Consistent Two-Way Communication
- Hearing directly from our community is valuable, and we recognize how much we can learn and grow from listening to new voices. We will create common expectations and guidelines for how we communicate, along with explanations of each tool used to both share and receive messages efficiently and effectively.
- Newcomer Supports
- As Sunnyside continues to grow, we play a big role in creating welcoming and inclusive environments that empower new students, families, and staff to feel supported in their transition to our schools. We will welcome them to the district and community through specific programming, mentorship, and learning opportunities.
A strategic plan is a critical tool that helps Sunnyside School District leaders to set goals, allocate resources, and monitor progress towards the achievement of the district's objectives. Here are a few key ways that a strategic plan supports student achievement in our district:
- Provides a clear roadmap for improving student outcomes: By setting specific, measurable goals for student achievement, a strategic plan provides a roadmap for the district to follow. This helps ensure that resources are allocated effectively and that everyone in the district is working towards the same objectives.
- Encourages collaboration and stakeholder engagement: Developing a strategic plan requires input from a variety of stakeholders, including teachers, parents, students, and community members. By involving everyone in the planning process, the district can ensure that it is meeting the needs of its students and community.
- Aligns resources with priorities: A strategic plan helps to ensure that the district's resources are allocated in a way that supports its goals. This can include allocating resources to programs and initiatives that have been shown to improve student outcomes, as well as investing in professional development and other resources that support student success.
- Provides a framework for monitoring progress: By setting clear goals and benchmarks, a strategic plan provides a framework for monitoring progress and adjusting course as needed. This helps the district to stay focused on its objectives and ensure that it is making progress towards improving student outcomes.
Overall, a strategic plan is a critical tool for supporting student achievement in the Sunnyside School District. By setting clear goals, engaging stakeholders, aligning resources with priorities, and monitoring progress, the district can ensure that it is doing everything possible to support the success of its students.