Welcome to the Sunnyside School District
For information on how to enroll your student in the Sunnyside School District, please contact the Superintendent's Office at 509-836-8700. You can also visit the links under Enrollment Options in the left panel to access Kindergarten and New Student Registration, or to complete your Annual Student Update.
Washington State Enrollment Options
The Learning by Choice guide answers the commonly asked questions about the Learning by Choice law, options created by the No Child Left Behind Act, and other enrollment options available to students in public, private, and home-based instruction.
- Learning Options: English and Spanish
- Home-based instruction OSPI Packet and Form
- 2021-2022 Choice Transfer Form: English and Spanish
- Online Choice Transfer Request
In-District Transfer Information
Note: A completed request form does not guarantee approval.
Each student in the district is required to attend the school designated for the geographic attendance area in which he or she resides.
A parent or guardian may request that his or her child be allowed to attend another school in the district by completing the District Attendance Area Transfer Request form. Requests will be accepted between April 1- June 30. Completed forms must be turned in to the Sunnyside School District, 1110 South 6th Street Sunnyside, WA 98944. Requests received after the designated timeframe will be considered on a case by case basis.
The district will approve, deny or place on a wait list an application for in-district transfer based upon the following priority system:
- Whether space is available in the grade level, program or classes at the site in which the student desires to be enrolled.
- Whether the student would be continuing enrollment at the site or in a building specific program.
- Whether the student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified employee of the district.
- Whether siblings are enrolled at the same site.
- Whether the student has good academic standing (attendance, grades, discipline).
- Minimizing disruption of the student's established learning program.
Transfer decisions may not be made until the second week of August through the second week of school. Students on the waiting list must enroll or continue enrollment at their residential school until receipt of an acceptance notification, via mail or phone, to the transfer requested school.
Parents must apply for a transfer request on an annual basis.
Transfer requests may be revoked due to overcrowding at the grade level or if the student has difficulties with attendance, disciplinary problems, expulsions or suspensions, or unsatisfactory academic progress.